Monday, June 16, 2014

Harper's Lavender Bedroom

When Robby was drawing up the plans for our house he was sure to make each of the kids bedrooms and bathrooms exactly the same size so that down the road there would be no arguing about who had the bigger room.  They each also have a fairly large closet, although each of the rooms and closets are layed out differently.  I knew which room I wanted to be Hudson's, but with the girls I pretty much let them choose the room they wanted and I also let them choose the colors for their rooms.  Harper loves purple so that's what she wanted. I wanted to do a purple room for her that wasn't too purple if that makes sense.  I went back and forth for months about what color to paint her walls and seriously up until the day before I was still undecided, but I'm happy that my BFF, Jen, gave me the nudge to paint it purple instead of just having purple accents and bedding.  Since all of the interior doors are painted a dark gray, the paint colors also had to coordinate well with those.  I absolutely LOVE her paint color though and she does, too!  It's called Silver Peony by Sherwin Williams and it is the most pale, calming, beautiful shade of lavender.

Her bedding was a clearance find from Belk's that my mom came across last winter.


And these letters hang above her bed.


I'm all about reusing what I can and using antique pieces that mean something to me, so that is exactly what I did in her room.  I was trying to sell the green glider that was originally in Handley's nursery and later in Hudson's, but since it hasn't sold yet I decided to move it into Harper's room and it really looks and fits great in here so now I'm happy to just keep it.  All of her white bedroom furniture was my mom's as a little girl and then it was the furniture I used as a little girl. It was cream with gold accents and my mom helped me paint it right before Robby and I bought our first house so I could use it in one of the guest bedrooms.  Now it's here in Harper's room! 



The desk had always just been in our basement before because there wasn't enough room for it in her last room, but she loves having a desk in her room and is excited about having a place to work on her homework this fall. The chair is an antique that my mom had and gave to me. I have recovered the seat cushion a few times to fit different spaces, but of course I used purple for Harper's room.  (And, obviously I still need pictures for those pretty purple frames!)



Harper's drapes were the first ones I worked on of the kids and I am pleasantly surprised by how they turned out. It was my first time making pleated panels and it was really a lot simpler than I thought it would be.




This little crystal vase belonged to my grandmother and I remember her giving it to me before Harper was born so I've always had it in her room.  Harper loved going to pick out new purple flowers for it a few weeks ago.


And she is proudly displaying the painting she made at Handley's painting party last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment