Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Trim and Other Details

Yesterday and today when I drove up to the house I saw about 5 trucks and vans there.  That meant lots was happening!  The trim is going up and looks so good. I feel like trim work can really set the tone and add so much to a room.  Here's a sneak peak at some of our trim in progress!  





Also, the mason workers were starting outside to repair and tie in to the existing brick outdoors and today they completed the brick fireplace. It was one of the only original things we kept from the house, but because we raised the ceiling height, there was a weird gap left between the top of the old fireplace and the new ceilings.  They carried the new brick straight up and we will have the brick painted so you will never know it was pieced together.  


I've also been working on paint colors. Y'all, I have been looking at paint colors for months and months. I've searched Pinterest for inspiration, asked friends about colors used in their homes, and made more than a handful of visits to Sherwin Williams. I thought I was prepared.  However, when our builder asked me to email him paint colors the other day, I totally freaked out. It just seems so final and I know we can always repaint, but that isn't going to be happening anytime soon so I just want to get it right.  I went back to the paint store again today and spent the better part of an hour comparing colors and now I need to go back tomorrow!  Crazy, I know. I should have just bought a color wheel.  I did get a sample size of the color we were planning to use for the main part of the house just so I could test that on the walls and reassure myself it was going to look the way I envisioned.  As soon as Hudson saw me whip out that paint brush, he was all into the idea of paint.  He waited so patiently while I was at the paint store earlier and I let him help me do a few brush strokes of the test color.  It seriously made his day!  

I've also been on a fabric hunt.  I wanted to take advantage of this waiting period before we can move in and go ahead and make some of the window treatments.  My goal is to at least get the kids' rooms done so that when we move in I won't have to fuss with them.  Again, Hudson has been my little assistant in this process and he's been SO good.  He had fun pointing to ones he liked and kept saying how much he loved the orange and yellow fabrics. I had to break it to him that his room will be navy, light blue, and red.  He didn't seem bothered though. :-)  I also discovered that if I gave him my phone to take pictures of the ones he liked, he stayed so entertained and I also got some cute pictures of him, too!  


I carried each of the kids' pillow shams with me so I could see what different fabrics would look like and how it would coordinate with their bedding.  Here's what I'm leaning towards using right now for each of their rooms. 




1 comment:

  1. It's coming together and everything looks great Carrie Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete