Friday, November 15, 2013

Making Their Mark

This week we had to wait on the weather to cooperate, but in the end we have a garage slab! The grading of the garage area was completed along with the back filling of the garage.



Then we had to wait for the temperatures to warm up a little so the concrete slab for our garage could be poured. It was so cold this week!  They finally got to it today and although the weather was a little overcast and misty at times, they worked around it and got it done.  I met Robby at there this morning to see what was happening and we saw the big concrete trucks arrive.


Hudson was so excited about the BIG trucks.



I got an idea then that I would love to have the kids hand prints in the concrete so I tried to time going over there after school.  When I went back it was still to wet to do hand prints so we went on to Handley's ballet class and then back after she danced.  The concrete workers were in the final steps to get it prepared, but they were so kind when I asked about putting the kids hand prints on it.  Most everywhere was to set up already, but they showed me the best place to do it so we gave it a whirl.

They were excited to make their mark on our new garage floor.  Handley went first and did great, Harper was next and hers looked perfect, too.  Then it was time for Hudson and he smashed his fingers altogether so it looked like a big blob.  One of the guys there smoothed that area out for me so we could try again.  And that is when Hudson decided that he wasn't interested in playing along anymore.  I offered him lollipops, his paci, popsicles...basically anything I could think of to bribe him to do his hand print, but he wanted none of it.  You should have seen me wrestling an uncooperative and unwilling two-year-old to get his hand into the cement.  I'm sure the guys there working were laughing at me and my muddy, cement covered shoes may never be the same.  BUT, I got my sweet little hand prints and that is all I cared about.  His isn't perfect, but I just know we will love having these hand prints on our garage floor years from now when the kids are all grown-up and I will remember what an effort I went to do get them.



For the record, tomorrow I will be putting all of our rain boots in the car for the duration of the rest of the building so that we can avoid the messy muddy shoe problem we ran into tonight.

1 comment:

  1. What a super sweet memory to make and have forever in your house!!

    ReplyDelete